Monday, April 2, 2012

Teal Tuesday: Tape Mani, Southwest Colors!

Tonight I FINALLY created a successful tape mani! YAY!

I will tell you how I did it. 

First up, supplies. I used striping tape but you can use scotch tape. Just make sure you make it less sticky by pressing it on and off your skin a few times. 


I also used dotting tools. I got these supplies on ebay for a reasonable price. I did buy from a US seller to get it quicker. 

I used a nail wheel first to test out my design and see if I liked it. Selecting colors can be hard. I kinda wish I had chosen a darker turquoise or teal but I like how bright this is. And I really wanted to use PI Coral Reef!! It is really pretty. I think I will design a mani to use a similar PI polish called In The Mood which is periwinkle. 

So anyhow, I started with a base of Pure Ice Coral Reef, a lovely shimmery foily coral color. 

Notice that I got a little out of the line here. That was okay though because I covered it up with the next layer. If you plan ahead, you can just really lightly coat the areas you will be placing another polish on top of so it lays smoother once you are done. I thought of this halfway through, lol.

After it dried (all the way, you have to wait!), I placed the striping tape where I wanted it and filled in the area of choice with Sinful Colors Open Seas (an OPI Mermaid's Tears dupe). I put the lighter color down first because I wanted it to be an accent and not to distract from the main color, Barielle Do Unto Others which I added once Open Seas was dry.


As you can see, I then added contrasting dots. When you use your dotting tool, make sure to keep it straight up and down from your nail (at a 90 degree (right) angle from your nail bed). This helps to make a more perfect dot. I added more polish to the dotter after every other dot. I am not great at it yet, but I will get there!


The polishes! I have big hands, I know, I know. :))

2 comments:

  1. i've NEVER seen pics of someone doing a tape mani...thank you! and now i understand that you have to make it less sticky before applying..duh on my part. thank you for this info!--maysa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait for the thin tapes I ordered to get here and test some of your designs! These are SO COOL!!!

    Hey, I have nominated you for Versatile Blogger award on my nail polish blog: http://superficiallycolorful.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete